So, what is THE lens for 4/3?

Started Feb 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,880
Like?
Re: Thanks, Tony
In reply to Steve Bingham, Feb 18, 2011

Steve Bingham wrote:

I am looking hard at the 12-60 as a general purpose lens - and the 50macro for portrait. Some say it focuses pretty slowly, but does it have a limiter to divide the mange (for faster focusing)? I have gotten a lot of suggestions which have enabled me to go in and investigate further. I can not believe the MTF for the 50mm. That must be some lens!!!!
--

Steve, wrt the 50mm macro, you might want to wait for the upcoming dedicated m4/3 lens. It will focus much faster and will probably be lighter and smaller as well (if nothing else, you'll save the added bulk of the adapter). Of course, there's no way of knowing the IQ (or even max aperture yet), but if you're

going to use a m4/3 body only (so no Olympus DSLR besides it) it would be preferable to get the native lenses for it.

I have the ZD 35mm f/3.5 macro which is also pretty sharp, but it is a drag to focus it on my E-PL1. So I use it only for the E-520.

The only reasons for using 4/3 lenses are:

• You already have 4/3 DSLR stuff and want to use it across platforms

• The 4/3 lens offers something that's not availble (now or in the foreseeable future) in m4/3. With rumours about the Lumix 12-50mm f/2.5-3.3 and the Olympus M. 50mm macro coming up soon, I'd wait for that.

A lens that does qualify IMO is the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5; a great lens, sharp wide open. Nothing to indicate that it will be refitted for m4/3 sometime soon.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bilgy_no1

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow