Started Feb 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
volosong
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,311
Like?
Re: Russ...
In reply to brandrx, Feb 17, 2011

brandrx wrote:

Russ Houston wrote:

Good info, Steven. I need pretty much exactly the same repair as you. My lens hood arrived broken a few years back, but since it worked okay, I just kept it. Now that I'm going to send my lens in (sometime), I'll just get them to replace that as well.

Hi Russ,

Dang those lens hoods are expensive.

You're right about that, Ron. One day last year, my K-7 "slipped" when I opened the car door to pull some stuff out after I got home; and it "dropped" onto the asphalt. Camera and mounted 18-250 lens are fine, only damage was a broken lens hood. It didn't hit too hard. Can't remember for sure, but I think I got a new hood for about 2/3 the Pentax on-line store price. From Amazon, I think. Was going to try to glue the old hood back together with contact cement or something, but it broke at the really weak point. In two places.

Before I forked out for the genuine Pentax replacement hood, I got one from the Orient pretty inexpensively. It screws onto the filter threads and have a locking ring to prevent the hood turning. It was okay, better built than the OEM one, but it wasn't "Pentax". So, I paid my "fine" and am just a lot more careful about my equipment since then.

-- hide signature --

Steven
GMT -8

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow