So, what is THE lens for 4/3?

Started Feb 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,388Gear list
Like?
Learning. 12-60? Maybe 50m prime?
In reply to millsart, Feb 17, 2011

millsart wrote:

First and foremost, how could you forgot some Nikon classics like the 200mm f2.0 or the "cream machine" 85mm f1.4 AF-D ?

Or another personal favorite of mine, the 105 F2.5 AiS, and my single most used lens, the 200-400 f4

True. The 200mm f2 is right there! Top of the pile. My error. The 105 is a macro which I had excluded. The 85 is good, but not that good in my opinion - either version.

That all said, there are only a handful of lenses for m4/3 so its not really the same thing. I mean if you want a telezoom there is the 45-200 and the 100-300 and thats it.

I guess it might boil down to the 12-60 as a zoom and the 50 macro as a prime. Man, does that sucker look sharp (50m). I could not believe the MTF!!!!!!! I am learning. Is the 50mm really that slow focusing? Does it have a range limiter?Thanks!

Both are consumer grade zooms, good, but not quite 70-300 VR level of consumer grade zoom good

Wide angle, there is only the 7-14 or the Oly 9-18mm. 7-14 being wider and a little sharper, 9-18 more useful range and cheaper/smaller

Your question makes sense in terms of Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc, basically anything with a long history, but with m4/3 there just isn't much

There are no G, AF-D, Ai, type of lines

It simply is what it is. Every lens is basically, the best, because its all there is

Steve Bingham wrote:

OK. Here is what I am talking about. Let me tell you what Nikon's top FF lenses are:
1- 14-24 f2.8
2- 24-70 f2.8
3- 70-200 f2.8
4- 300 f2.8
5- 400 f2.8
6- 500 f4
7- 600 f4

Easy. I can do the same for DX. These are considered Nikon's very best without getting into macro or PC lenses. Now do you understand the nature of my question? When I find out what works best with M4/3 I will proceed from there. So far I think I am in overload from the information, but someone out there will nail it. My job is to sift through it and look at MTF charts ad infinitum.

kermitG9 wrote:

What's the point of this question ?

It's like asking: What's the best car ? Maybe it's a Porsche .. but forgot to mention that where you live there no paved road .. or a 4x4 but forgot to mention that you're living in an urban area.

My point is that you're neither saying in which focal length you're interested in .. and not giving any indication whether you need a DOF or not (i.e. indication about aperture).

=> Regardless of the responses you got, the reality is that without further details, there's simply no right answer to your question..

PS: You're defining THE lens in terms of sharpness.. Sorry.. THE lens is the lens that best suits your needs in a given shooting situation.

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow