Started Feb 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SimonV
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
Canon 50mm 1.8 II vs Canon 50mm 2.5 vs Sigma 50mm DG EX 2.8 Macro
Feb 16, 2011

I currently own Canon's 50mm 1.8 II, and have been reasonably pleased with the quality and sharpness. Only problem is that I find the autofocus very unreliable. No amount of micro focus adjustment seems to help either. Manual focus is always an option in certain circumstances, but on the move it is not (street photography for example).

I was looking at a replacement for this to make my lens bag complete. I use a 17-40 and a 70-200 2.8 IS, and the 50 is about the only thing I need to upgrade. I Use a 5D Mark II.

I've looked at the Canon 50mm 2.5 Compact Macro, and it seems nice as it's supposed to be very sharp even wide open. I'm going to use my 50mm for video as well and the 2.5 macro has a focus ring better suited for DIY follow focus "rigs". The 50mm 1.8 is almost impossible to use for manual focus while shooting video, and the ring focus is very loud (although I have an external mic)

I've also looked at the Sigma 50mm EX DG 2.8 Macro, and I've seen a fair amount of good reviews there too.

Does anyone own both the 50 mm 1.8 and either of the alternatives? I would be interested in the possible differences and/or improvements compared to the 50mm 1.8. Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow