So, what is THE lens for 4/3?

Started Feb 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
traveler_101
Contributing MemberPosts: 727Gear list
Like?
Re: I see a 35-100 f2
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Feb 16, 2011

I assume, Steve, when you wrote "the lens for 4/3" you meant to say "for micro 4/3." The answer in my mind is clearly the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. It delivers beautiful images on my E-P1 and on many different m43 cameras (the boards are full of examples) and it is fasssst and compact--the perfect expression of the m43 concept and form. The alternative in a normal lens seems to be the Voigtlander Nokton 25/f.095. Not sure about its performance, but Voigtlander makes great lenses and it is the classic 50mm fov and, of course, it is super-fast. It is a manual focus lens if that matters one way or the other to you.

The zoom lens you suggest delivers good images (I have seen a couple of postings) but is too large and heavy and slow to focus for the m43 cameras; it can be used especially with a tripod.

Right now native m43 zooms are better at the short end, the Oly 9-18 and the fabulous Panasonic 7-14, than at the long end of the spectrum. The expensive high grade zooms for m43 haven't been produced by Olympus . . . yet. Try the inexpensive but very good Olympus 40-150.

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow