So, what is THE lens for 4/3?

Started Feb 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
JosephScha
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,222Gear list
Like?
Re: So, what is THE lens for 4/3?
In reply to Steve Bingham, Feb 16, 2011

It's hard to know how to answer.

At the moment, for what I do, I'd have to say THE lens for panasonic (with in lens image stabilization, which they call Optical Image Stabilization = OIS) is the 100mm-300mm zoom. It's not a fast lens, but the results shown on this forum have been excellent, in every case.

Some people on the forum are into street photography, using the Oly EP series or Panasonic GF series. For them, I think THE lens is the 20mm f/1.7.

Remember, micro 4/3 has a crop factor of 2, so 20mm is like 40mm on a full frame camera. Similarly, the 100mm to 300mm zoom makes an image like an amazing 200mm to 600mm zoom on full frame.

Now, if you're not looking for telephoto capability in daylight, or a small fast lens for street photography, then these might not be your choice. I am pretty sure the best solution for you is to become familiar with Panasonic and Olympus lens offerings.

The best place to see the current selection of micro 4/3 lenses from Panasonic, Olympus and Voigtlander (the amazing Nokton 25mm f/0.95 lens) is:

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense.html

-- hide signature --

Joe S.

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow