Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
skiphunt13
Senior MemberPosts: 2,510
Like?
XZ-1 16:9 and LX5
Feb 15, 2011

Just got back from a month in Mexico where I used only an iPhone for travel-blogging http://www.kaleidoscopeofcolor.com/mexico-2011

A few more posts to catch it up due to lack of wifi and the fact I got sick riding on a bus for 14hrs with a bunch of coughing and sneezing people.

I did take a Panasonic LX3 with me and did use it when I captured something I really liked with the iPhone.

Hoping to either do Colombia/Ecuador OR Bolivia next and want to upgrade my compact. I know the MFT cams aren't that much more now, but I really don't want to take any extra lenses, gadgets, etc. Just one nice compact that can handle most situations.

I'm attracted to the XZ-1's usb charging, art effects, longer reach faster lens, etc. And, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I also like the extra wide angle and love shooting in 16:9. Is the XZ-1's 16:9 just a cropped 4:3? If so, isn't the LX5's 16:9 using the whole sensor? I could be confused on this.

Really having trouble deciding between the XZ-1 and LX5 as it appears others are too. Any LX5 shooters who have bought this camera and can share preferences between the two? The LX series has been good to me. I started with the LX1 and they have always been reliable. The LX3 I'm using now is still a sweet performer, but I want a little more reach and a little better low light performance. I also like to shoot video some. Is there no clear winner here?

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow