Canon has missed the train and died (SD 4000 IS)

Started Aug 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
J1000
Senior MemberPosts: 1,339
Like?
Re: Canon has missed the train and died (SD 4000 IS)
In reply to Mid-Life Krysis, Feb 14, 2011

Mid-Life Krysis wrote:

But fine, it's just the looks. Had the powershot kept the performance of its predecessors, the ugliness could easily be forgiven, at least by me. But the problem is that the canon compact's IQ - with the exception of the G line - has become synonymous with muddiness and blurriness (the corner blurriness levels in most Elphs have over the past years become just ridiculous). At first the pixel peepers were the first ones affected, but eventually it's gotten to the point, that the pictures display blur and dullness even at a full screen view. Most manufacturers are guilty of joining the stupid pixel race, but Canon is especially bad at it. Cramming an ever increasing number of pixels into tiny sensors is essentially lying to the customers, it's no different than taking a 6MP image and blowing it up to 12MP, and presenting it as a 12MP shot, but some can do this 'resizing' better than others. While Panasonic owners pay with noise, Canon's owners' first casualty is sharpness and constrast. Personally I'll take a noisy but sharp photo over a blurry and dull one anyday.

Why are you lauding Panasonic? I own one. Generally speaking they are no more sharp than Canon point & shoots, and the noise is often not the acceptable variety. It tends toward big ugly chroma blotches and harsh noise reduction artifacts that are visible even when zoomed out.

Let me show you what I mean.

Here's what a Panasonic FZ35 (one of their cleaner looking small-sensor cameras) looks like at ISO1600:

Here's a another small-sensor Panasonic, the ZS7:

And finally, here's the Canon SD4000:

Whatever additional "detail" exists in the Panasonic shots is not real detail. It's nothing but digital scribble. And look at how poorly they handle areas of solid black. Meanwhile the Canon shot looks clean and natural. Lately, Canon is actually doing a much better job of maintaining natural colors and overall appearance while the ISO increases. It's much better to lose detail than color. (And as I pointed out, Panasonic isn't retaining any extra detail and is in fact adding a bunch of unwelcome non-detail.) Plus, Canon is the only company I know who is releasing pocketable cameras with f/2.0 lenses, meaning for example they can use ISO 400 while their competitors are forced to use ISO 800 or higher.

So my opinion is quite contrary to yours: Canon is absolutely going in the right direction, and at this moment no P&S manufacturer can match them.

You also seem to be criticizing the Canon image processing choices while ignoring the fact that the G series processes images in the exact same way (it blurs the image as the ISO increases).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow