Started Feb 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dopravopat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156Gear list
Like?
NOT interested in the EOS 60D anymore
Feb 13, 2011

OK, I finally played with the EOS 60D for a whole day. I must say that the video feature is a nice gimmick, but I cannot imagine to use it for anything serious. Or anything at all to be honest. First of all, the moireƩ in HD video is really visible almost always and efficiently ruins the footage. Second, the video format used is not exactly what I would prefer. Third, no RAW video, but that I expected. Fourth is the stupid usless-for-video firmware. I saw the EOS 550D with MagicLantern firmware and the "hacked" 550D is much more useful for video than the EOS 60D with original firmware. I mean, no audio meters during video shooting, no semi transparent histogram during shooting (only when paused). The zebras in ML are great, canon FW has nothing like that at all. Also rack focus is a very great thing. I missed it in one particular shot. I was shooting from tripod outdoors in daylight with a nice clear blue sky. Overall I expected much more, especially in the image quality of video. No AF in video is also not good, but not something I could not live without. If at least Canon would implement the rack focus like ML has it in the 550D. I really missed it in the field. But number 1 must be the image quality. Skipping lines clearly degraded video output. The 18 MP sensor is not ideal for the task. I realize that I had too high expectations which were not real. The swivel LCD is nice, but that is all. In bright sunlight and various scenes with changing shadow/highlit parts, I only guessed exposure according to the LCD when filming, becouse no histogram or zebras. It looked completely different at home on my monitor.

Overall I would rather get the EOS 50D with its layout, "only" 15 MP, Af-S focusing screen and micro focus adjust than the 60D with video. The prices of used 50D in good condition with warranty are nice these days. I will keep an eye on the ads...
--
Erik
http://jalbum.net/users/eziak

dopravopat's gear list:dopravopat's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 60D Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow