Started Feb 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andy Phillips
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Sensor Dust Anguish
Feb 13, 2011

Hello, I would greatly appreciate opinions here please.

Bit of a long story which i will summarise . A year ago whilst on a beach photographing seals my camera and 70-200 lens jammed up with sand ingress. I didnt change lenses on the beach,there wasnt any wind and it was a nice sunny day.

I sent the lens and camera off to Nikon for inspection and cleaning .After a long time and an even longer story involving litigation my camera came back cleaned and ready to go but no report explaining how the sand got in. I rang Nikon but no one was willing to say. They said all the seals were intact

Within a short period of time dust began accumulating on the sensor and I have to clean it every week

Another dealer informed me that when certain companys clean camera sensors they don't clean the mirror box as well and so although the sensor gets cleaned the box remains still coated with dust and the sucking action of zoom lenses just pulls more dust onto the sensor again. I was told to perform this cleaning with lint free cloths and appropriate fluid.

Unfortunately I'm now in the situation of continual dust problems and having to clean the sensor and mirrors far too often and Nikon telling me all is well. The only thing they have to say is that the camera was never advertised as "Weatherproof".

I appreciate this and i take all of the usual precautions when in the field when changing lenses ,indeed I dont have to change lenses at all to get dust in! I am at my wits end and dont know what to do for the best. Help please!!!

Andy Phillips's gear list:Andy Phillips's gear list
Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow