ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cscarlet41
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
FZ100: First Pictures - Ark Royal Farewell Portsmouth Dockyard
Feb 13, 2011

Hi,

I bought my FZ100 at Christmas after months reading reviews, pixel peeping lots of photos and listening to the arguments both for and against on this forum. I was a keen film user 25 years ago and have been using a digital compact for many years but I wanted to get back into photography again as a hobby. I was looking for a camera that would be more DSLR like, give me more creativity and control than my compact, had a decent zoom and importantly, had video that was good enough for me to stop carry a video camera around as well. The FZ100 seemed to fit the bill perfectly but I was concerned about image quality given the initial feedback. I'm not looking for DSLR image quality, just good enough to view images on a large computer screen, publish on the net and print off the occasional 10x8 print without having to do a lot of PP. I have to say that so far I'm impressed with the camera. It fits my requirements perfectly and I'm sure I will get a lot more out of it once I've mastered all the controls. The colour rendition is spot on to my eyes and the image stabilisation works really well - I can't believe I'm hand holding at full zoom on a grey January day and the images are good enough to use.

I've posted a link to my flickr account and the first set of images I've taken with it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cscarlet41/sets/72157626035514570/

These are of the farewell to the Royal Navy Ark Royal aircraft carrier at Portsmouth in January, when the carrier was opened up to the public over a weekend - we queued for 3 hours to get on! I left the camera on Intelligent Auto as I didn't want to get distracted with all the controls on a once in a lifetime opportunity. Basic PP was done in LR3, which seems to have pretty good noise removal built in now. Most of the images were auto adjusted then a little fill and recover applied where necessary. I was bothered that the FZ100 would need a lot of PP given the feedback I've read but my presets take care of most PP in a couple of clicks.

I've moved away from Intelligent Auto now and I'm using the program modes as I wanted to try out raw files in my workflow - not an option with iA.

Hope you like my efforts so far and any feedback gratefully received.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow