Started Feb 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Edimus
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Guidance lighting a large group indoors needed
Feb 11, 2011

I will be taking a team picture for my son’s wrestling team and need a little guidance. The team has 35 kids and 8 coaches. Depending on who is present for the picture I am estimating between 30-40 people in the photo. I will be taking it in a very poorly lit wrestling room (no other option). I am shooting with a D90. I have two SB600’s, light stands and umbrellas (shoot through and bounce).

I am looking for advice on what the optimal lighting setup would be for this type of photo. I am probably arranging the kids in 3 rows of 10-14. Last night I took one SB600, stand, and umbrella to the room to see how the light traveled in the room. What I saw was that shooting through the umbrella only worked (sample size of one kid for this test) when the subject was very near the light (5 feet for so), anything further and the SB600 even on full power did not light up well. In order to cover the whole group I will probably need to have the lights further away.

So my main question, besides any other advice anyone would be willing to give, is if shooting with two SB600’s without any modifiers will acceptable. I am very new to lighting outside of a close in portrait environment and would greatly appreciate any help.

Ed.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow