Started Feb 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sten E
Senior MemberPosts: 1,486Gear list
Like?
RAW is good!
Feb 11, 2011

I bought another camera a few days ago, a Pentax K-5 DSLR with the Pentax 18-135 lens. This camera can produce RAW pictures in the Adobe DNG format (or in the Pentax PEF format).

The DNG format is handy since it goes right into Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) without producing any extra xmp files.

I have now tested shooting pictures with RAW+JPG and then processed a few pictures with Photoshop CS3 in two alternative ways:

• on the JPG version directly (as I have done many times before with my Canon 20D)

• on the RAW DNG version with ACR first, then producing a JPG from the DNG, then working with CS3 on the produced JPG

I found that the second way via the DNG produced so much better pictures. Since I have really worked a lot according to the first way before, I feel sure that the results are significant, and I will probably take the trouble and additional work to include the RAW step in my work process.

Well, the pictures were taken indoors without flash, and I believe that the difference is most visible in those circumstances. But again, the difference was so great...

-- hide signature --

I appreciate it if you look at my pictures here:
http://www.fotosidan.se/member/view.htm?ID=60604

Sten E's gear list:Sten E's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow