Started Feb 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
panamforeman
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
X100 vs Leica
Feb 9, 2011

I'm a Fuji camera owner from way-back: F30, F31fd,F200EXR etc. I have Canons, Nikons etc. Now the X100 is coming and already you're comparing it to certain Leica cameras.

I will be the first in line for the X100. And personally? I think it will take just as good pics as any Leica. Just as the aforementioned cameras did/do as well.

But fellows, You can't convince a Leica owner that paid $2500 upwards to $10,000, or more, for his gear that they are not the best in the world. If they thought not, then they would have to admit to themselves they spent excessive amounts of money foolishly.

We who live western democracies(?) have been thoroughly manipulated & convinced by skilled marketers and hucksters that the more something costs the better it must be!

Any Leica camera is no better that any of the top-of-the line cameras from Canon, Nikon, or Fuji etc. All any camera is: is a box with a lens and a shutter, thru which light passes onto film or a sensor. Leicas are an expensive box,

But it's almost like trying to convince a Lexus ES460 owner that his car is the same as a Toyota Avalon. They're $20,000 or so difference in price, but they are Toyotas!
Toyota spends less than $2000 more on the 460 as they do on the Avalon.

I will say this though: Any Leica camera (and I own 4, all film) is a beautifully engineered and manufactured, electro/mechanical piece of equipment. As only the Germans can do. But....the "Best" picture taker? Hardly! The Japanese are, in every way the equall of, and in many ways exceed, the Germans in camera/lens making.

I'm as excited about owning a X100, as soon as they become available, as any new camera I bought in the last 10 years. But lets wait until it can be reviewed by the experts we have come to depend on at dpreview etc. I usually wait at least 4 months after a camera is released before I buy it. Not a bad formula for any new release of anything.
All IMHO!

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
duhNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow