ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GurneyHalleck
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Simple SuperZoom for Daddy
Feb 9, 2011

Hi,

I am very happy with my current T2i and a couple of lenses and looking with tears at my Dad who is using a camera from the stone age. Means very crappy, cheap, ugly analog camera. I know there people out there who enjoying shooting with analog, but the reason my Dad uses one is the fact that he bought it 15 years ago. It is not even good, out of focus, bad color...you name it. And the worst thing: he is really enjoying taking photos, not knowing they could be so much better. He sees them first on paper, no pre-checking on camera-screen, no post-processing on the PC. Just throw the film into a bag and let the pharmacy does the job !

I really would like to buy him a nice compact super zoom (PanaFZ100, Powershot SX30, Nikon P100) but I am afraid there are way over is head. I mean I will probably do the post selection and processing (I really like that ;-)), but the shooting itself is on him.

So, he needs a camera with a zoom and a shutter button. No fancy menu, no profiles or millions of sub-menus. I mean he is not that old, but really the opposite of every member of this forum.

Is there any camera out there which is really easy to use, or at least which has a less "confusing" handling and on the other hand makes some descent photo.

If one suggest to just grab the manual, sit down and learn it or give him a training - forget it, he will put the cam aside and take his old one.

I mentioned the SX30, just because I would probably buy it. He could also use one of the compacts (PanaZS7 or similar), just not the super-compact like that sony Tx9.

I know it is funny question, but I am pretty sure I am not the only one with this challenge.

I forgot: he is shooting mostly during his ski weekends, family parties ( in and outdoors) grandkids, vacations (beach, mountains..). The whole range, SWA to infinity , lets say 15-600mm.

Thanks for your ideas

GurneyHalleck's gear list:GurneyHalleck's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow