Started Feb 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Tapani Tarvainen
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?
Re: 100-400L successor thoughts
In reply to KWEnz, Feb 8, 2011

KWEnz wrote:

Tapani Tarvainen wrote:

Looking at the specs of the new 200-400L , it's clear it won't replace the 100-400: it's just too big and heavy . The 100-400L is an easily handholdable, nice walkabout lens, which the 200-400L won't be.

Where did you see the specifications of the new 200-400? I saw nothing in the press release and a Google search hasn't helped. Canon have been reducing the weight and sizes of their recent replacement lenses so I think it is premature to speculate that the new lens will be too big or heavy to replace the 100-400. I think that it is more likely that it will be just too expensive as a replacement.

It is f/4 at 400mm, which means among other things its front element will be twice as big as with f/5.6. I can't see any way it could be lighter than the 300/2.8 or 400/4DO are - almost certainly heavier than either of them, in fact. If it weighs anything less than 3kg I'll be very surprised.

But if they can make it as light as the 100-400L is, I'll buy one at (almost) any cost.

Tapani Tarvainen's gear list:Tapani Tarvainen's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Ricoh GR Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow