Can we expect constant f/4 series on DX?

Started Feb 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hindigo
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
Can we expect constant f/4 series on DX?
Feb 8, 2011

Hi,

In the search for a replacement of the kit 18-55 VR lens, I have read a number of articles & reviews on the usual suspects: 17-55, 16-85 and even the FX 16-35.

Among these, a French magazine (Reponses photo) article made a lot of sense to me. they were basically suggesting that the DX range was being kept alive by Nikon as far as bodies are concerned, but pretty much maintainted for a consumer / enthusiast amateur target due to the zoom lenses (nothing pro level since the 17-55 2.8). At the other end, the pro (FX) target has received a lot of attention last year as far as good but more decently priced zoom lenses are concerned, with the introduction of the 16-35 and 24-120 last year, both f/4.

So basically, seems Nikon is leaving a gap for DX enthusiast amateurs / prosumers / experts however you want to name them in the f/4 or f/3.5-4.5 grade (the 16-85 would have been a perfect DX mid-range had it been faster, ideally constant f/4). Do you think we can expect anything coming up on this side, or do I need to upgrade to FX to access this intermediary "constant f/4 + VRII" world which seems (for me) the best compromise between quality and weight/price? (I'm aware f/4 on FX is about like f/2.8 on DX... question would then be: can we expect upgrade of the 17-55?)

Cheers,
Tom

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow