using RAW makes a LOT sense for small sensor cameras!

Started Feb 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pavel Kudrys
Senior MemberPosts: 2,694Gear list
Like?
using RAW makes a LOT sense for small sensor cameras!
Feb 7, 2011

I often hear that RAW is only for professional and that there is no need for RAW in the small sensor cameras as nobody would take care of it. Well, I think it's small sensor cameras, where the RAW makes a LOT of sense!

There are two rules...
small sensor = heavy noise
the smaller sensor is = the heavier NR is applied

There is no way around these two rules. Cameras with small sensors are usually not powerful enough to perform acceptable noise reduction. So processing the small sensor RAW with proper RAW editor could vastly improve the results and make the high ISO output actually very usable!

I'm just playing with recent Silkypix 5 beta and I'm really impressed by the results I'm able to extract from the P10. The below photo is not mine. It's taken from the Photographyblog's P10 review. But it perfectly shows how great results could be achieved by processing the RAW from small sensor.

this is RAW (notice the ISO value!):

and this is out of camera JPEG:

I believe the difference is pretty evident? I really wish Ricoh would finally allow RAW in CX range. This and good RAW editor could make the CX a very competitive camera.

-- hide signature --
 Pavel Kudrys's gear list:Pavel Kudrys's gear list
Ricoh GR
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow