Recommendations for lens choice at Arches N.P.

Started Feb 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,351Gear list
Like?
My choices
In reply to TJG, Feb 7, 2011

TJG wrote:

I'll be shooting a D700 and D80. I have available a Nikon 24-70, 80-200, 50, 85, and 105 macro. Additionally, I have a Sigma 10-20 for the D80. I also have access to a Nikon 70-200 2.8 vrII and a Nikon 16-35 4.0 vr.

Get up early and get out there. Those early morning shots are to die for. Pick up box lunches in town.

I've been many times, the last time was 4x5 and 5x7 sheet film, but the other times were digital. You've got that D700 so I'd consider mostly FX lenses obviously. Last summer the 16-35 f/4 VR almost stayed glued to my D700. I also like my 85 f/1.4 and a good macro lens. I use the Sigma 150 f/2.8 so it takes the place of the telezooms much of the time. In your case, I'd bring the 80-200 or 70-200 as well and probably call it a day. You'll need that 10-20 for the D80 as a backup to the 16-35.

That all said, your kit isn't that large. I'd get a small roller for the overhead compartment and carry my whole kit. You'll be renting a car, I assume, and you keep it in the trunk.

I'd bring a very light but sturdy tripod. I bring a 2lb Giottos carbon fiber with a Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head. That goes in my checked luggage along with a folding aluminum stool.

I also bring a somewhat powerful 13 inch laptop as both a storage backup and to preview my images. I load the cards in there each evening, but don't erase them. The ability to preview in the hotel tells you if you need to go back. I keep Photoshop CS5 and Capture NXII on it and a real mouse along with a card reader.

If you have a smart phone like an iphone or Android (I use an EVO), you can download a great DOF calculator. I also downloaded iBird Pro for ten bucks. Both are extemely useful.

Make sure you also have a good quality polarizing filter for each lens you wish to have one. There's a little camera store there which only carries Hoya. The owner is a nice guy and stays open fairly late. His prices are reasonable considering. You might also wish a graduated neutral density filter and filter holder, but that's a different story. Contrast can be fairly severe.

http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

Most of the hiking is not bad unless you're somewhat handicapped as I am, but I made it to each location without too much issue, if slow.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Equipment in Plan via Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow