Started Feb 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pageerror404
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Suitable downgrade for Nikon D90
Feb 7, 2011

I have owned a Nikon D90 for a little while, and while I used to use it a lot I just haven't been finding the time anymore. Part of the reason is that I moved into town and when my car broke I didn't feel the need to replace it since everything is in cycling distance. Lugging around my gear when I want to go places is tedious, especially during routine daily activities. There have been cases where I wished I had a good camera on me to capture a sudden moment, at times where I wasn't planning on taking photos. My camera has been gathering dust for months.

So I decided that I really want a Canon S95, that I can carry on my wherever I go. It takes exceptionally great photos for a compact camera, allows manual control and RAW (which is very important to me still). As a student I am poor and I can't just shell out $400 on a whim. That's why I want to sell my D90 and some of my unused extra gear to generate the money. I hate having all my money tied up in camera equipment that I'm not even using.

Obviously selling my D90/equipment would generate much more money than the cost of an S95, so I think it might be a good idea to also purchase a cheaper SLR just to have for vacations, family events and any planned photography outings I may have in the future. So I need some advice on suitable downgrades.

I have been considering the D5000 because I have been told that it shares the same sensor as the D90 and the main differences are subtle things (like the autofocus motor and ergonomics). These are not real issues to me. I have owned the D90 for almost a year and have never been tempted to buy a lens without the motor built in. Also I don't mind a little menu diving to change my settings.

Many friends have also been suggesting the Canon T1i to me. It seems like a good camera on paper, but I'm finding very mixed reviews on the web. Lots of people swear by it, but lots of other people seem to think Rebels are junk. I would like to hear some suggestions from others. I don't plan on spending more than $700 on whatever DSLR I buy.

I honestly don't even care too much about the DSLR (I still like to make sensible purchases though), but people talk to me like I'm absolutely insane. They make me feel like by selling my DSLR and buying a compact camera (no matter how advanced and versatile it may be) that I am giving up on photography... which really makes me feel bad, because it couldn't be further from the truth. I like taking photos, which is exactly why I want a camera I can bring with me everywhere.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow