Started Feb 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Knight Palm
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
High altitude skiing with Olympus XZ-1 [IMGs]
Feb 6, 2011

It's more convenient to ski with a lighter camera than the E-400 and E-3 that I've been practising before. I can skip the chest harness and the backpack, since the new XZ-1 type of pocket camera is so diminutive in comparison. But the pictures it brings home is not disappointing, and in addition it is HD video capable also, however not as convenient as a helmet camera that becomes more and more popular.

Equipped with a spare battery, I can easily manage a day out in the cold. Considering video I brought with me two type class6 SDHC cards (SanDisk Extreme with 20MB/s = 133x).

I used SCN modes for Portrait and Panorama, sometimes C(ustom) for RAW+JPEG, but most times P or iAUTO modes.

When working mostly with gloves on, I could wish the mode button was less easy to move, the rear control wheel a bit larger, and the front lens a bit more recessed to avoid fingerprints. Otherwise, it's easily a shirt pocket camera, it does seldom need a flash, it loves low light, it focuses very fast and has both an excellent lens and display.

-- hide signature --

Ludwig Wittgenstein; British philosopher born in Austria; a major influence on logic and logical positivism (1889-1951):

“What can be said at all can be said clearly; and whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent”

Knight Palm's gear list:Knight Palm's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-400 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow