ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Ninjalectual
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?
Shooting in P vs. Av vs. Tv
Feb 6, 2011

What mode do you shoot in, and why?

The only mode that makes sense to me is aperture priority. I know what apertures my lenses preform best at, and I know what kind of DOF I want for each shot, and I don't really care what shutter speed I'm at, so long as it's fast enough not to cause blur due to camera shake (or occasionally fast enough to freeze motion/slow enough to blur motion, but even then there is a range of speeds I find acceptable). I just use the aperture and ISO settings in combination to get the shutter speed within that acceptable range.

I don't see the point in using shutter priority or even program mode regularly, since aperture is the most important variable to me. I know that a lot of intelligent and talented photographers out there do prefer shooting in shutter priority or program modes. If this is you, can you explain your thinking, because I must be missing something.

I also use full manual, of course, for the times where the difference between light and shadow is so great that the camera's metering can be inconsistent from shot to shot, but most of the time the camera reads a scene consistently enough so that a simple + or - exposure compensation will get me to where I want to be.

-- hide signature --

I've never thought of photography as 'finding beauty in the things that go unnoticed,' although that's a worthy philosophy too. My goal has been to find those moments where people would say, 'oh, you shouldn't bother trying to get that on film, it's a moment that just has to be experienced.' Those moments are the ones I strive to capture most.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow