Started Feb 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,507
Like?
OK. So what happens to the lenses?
Feb 5, 2011

Many of us have a number of 'older' Olympus Zuiko digital lenses. Things like the Mk1 versions of the 14-54mm and 50-200. The 50mm macro, 8mm fisheye. All of them excellent lenses. Some people will also have SHG gear. 14-35, 35-100 etc.

But you need a body or bodies to use these on. Technology is marching onwards. Performance and features are continuing to be improved. If you want to, you can at the moment go out and buy an E5 to try and remain competitive.

But everything is pointing to the E5 being the last 'conventional' DSLR that they will make. This doesn't mean there won't be any more cameras though. Olympus themselves have strongly hinted that they will be merging the FT/MFT cameras into "one beautiful system" or words to that effect.

But what does this mean to people who own the older lenses? I for one have this horrible feeling that no matter what they do, AF performance is going to be so hideously crippled, as to make the "MK1" lenses unusable for most normal situations where you'd want AF to perform at a reasonable speed. And I'm talking SAF. I'm not even thinking CAF.

Or do you think Oly do have something up their sleeves? will they do something clever like sony and use a beam splitting solution to allow normal PDAF? will this physically fit if you also have to be able to use MFT lenses as well ??

Or do you think that the E5 is the end of the line for anyone who hasn't got the newer CDAF enabled lenses, and once the E5 performance is so far behind what other systems offer, that when you decide you need to update the body, you'll have to dump all the old lenses as well?

This has certainly been playing on my mind for quite some time. What about you lot?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SoonNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow