Watch out: GPS-cameras and cell phones can be dangerous

Started Feb 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
deleted_081301
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
Re: Geotagging optional??? Maybe???
In reply to MusicDoctorDJ, Feb 4, 2011

i get a feeling that the Geo tagging in this case was not from a GPS signal but more likely from the phone itself all mobile phones can be tracked by the police or anyone with the right equipment as they log on and off to the nearest "cell" as we walk about even when they are off.....A gps signal on the other hand has to be ON to recieve the Satalite signal.

MusicDoctorDJ wrote:

Brian D. Schneider wrote:

Of course it's optional. I don't know about phones mine is not GPS enabled but for my photos I use a Phototagger I clip to my belt and I choose what to tag and what not.
The few cameras with built in tagging I'm sure you can turn it off.

There was a topic posted here a couple of months back (with a link to the news story) about a TV personality who posted a picture on eBay that was taken with his cell phone and he had supposedly turned off the GPS feature, but hackers were still able to lift the GPS info from the photo somehow and figure out where he lived.

I'll let you search for it if you are interested in finding it.

But anyway, if this is true, then perhaps even though it is turned off, it is still working.

-- hide signature --

J. D.
Colorado

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow