New Epson 3880 - a bit stunned, I must say!

Started Feb 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GDK
GDK
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?
New Epson 3880 - a bit stunned, I must say!
Feb 4, 2011

Received my new Epson 3880 late this afternoon. So far, I am just amazed at the quality of the prints - very sharp with beautiful colors.

This is a factory refurbished unit, so the price is about $400 below MSRP. It looks new, and came with a complete set of new ink. The only thing not included is the complimentary samples of Epson paper.

So, I've got about 400 sheets of HP Photo Premium left and I tried one of those. It actually printed okay - suprise! Then, I ran out to pick up some Epson paper before the stores close. While doing so, I couldn't resist also buying a pack of large format paper: "OfficeMax Photo Paper - Glossy Professional (10 mil)" in the 13"x19" size. They sell 20 sheets for $30.49; stock number OM96073. (This store doesn't carry Epson paper in large sizes.)

Next, I printed out a favorite full frame Grand Canyon photo on 4x6 Epson paper to test the setup. Worked fine. Time for the big one -- I reprinted it with the same settings using the OfficeMax 13x19 glossy. The print came out awful with dark ink blotches, several roller marks, etc.

Barely knowing what I'm doing with this new printer, I tried again after reducing the ink density by 25%, slowing down the print speed and the reducing the paper advance speed about 40%. The Grand Canyon view came out excellent. I've subsequently printed out a large group photo from a holiday gathering using similar adjusted settings - it's not a fluke. Great colors, skin tones. These photos look much nicer printed on this paper than they do on my 27 inch monitor!

I've got large Epson Ultra papers on order and will have them soon, and I'll be anxious to see how this "cheap" OfficeMax paper compares. Right now, I'm blown away by it's quality, but perhaps that's because I've been using an old HP all-in-one for too long. I thought it was doing a great job, but this is a whole new world!

I'd be interested to hear from 3800/3880 owners. What's the best approach to working with non-Epson papers when you don't have any profile information for them?

George

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow