Started Feb 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MadManAce
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
Perfect focus with my D7000!
Feb 4, 2011

After reading countless accounts of people complaining about focus, I thought I should let prospective buyers know that I bought one and it does a marvelous job of focusing. I tested it using my trusty lens alignment chart and at first, I thought I might have a front focus issue, plus inconsistent focusing. Then I did something that I figure has eluded many users. I read the owner's manual. I discovered (pg 95) about this cameras AF-Area Mode, where I have the option of selecting a 1-point, 9-point, 21-point, 39-point, 3d, and Auto-Area AF zones. After changing the AF Area to 1-point, all of my lenses focused spot on. I tried some simple tests with multi-point AF zone on actual people and so far so good. More tests are needed on the multi-zones before I use this on critical assignments. Based on my preliminary tests, it appears that the multi-point zones are designed to detect people (in motion), and shooting test-charts, cereal boxes, etc, throw it off.

I figure the AF phenomenon is a simple case of paranoia that has been blown out of proportion by people with little experience with high-tech SLR's. Now I am not saying that this is the case for all, but I bet it is the case for most. Just my two cents.

MadManAce's gear list:MadManAce's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow