Thinking about shaking up my lens lineup - Zoom to Primes...

Started Feb 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jag64551
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Thinking about shaking up my lens lineup - Zoom to Primes...
Feb 3, 2011

Hello, I'm currently considering shaking up my lens lineup. I am an amateur and enjoy taking photos of my kids, but I also do a couple of kid/family shoots a month and also the occasional wedding (I am writing this after coming off of a wedding). I currently have a 40D and an XTi, and a Canon 50mm f1.4 and a Canon 24-105mm f4.0 IS L. My budget is what I would get by selling these, and a couple hundred bucks on top (roughly $1500).

Particularly in weddings, low light is almost always going to be an issue, and I'm just not sure the 24-105 is cutting it in that regard. I love everything else about the lens - it's awesome. Also, I don't have a true Macro lens for ring shots, etc. I also enjoy shooting flower and butterfly shots in my own time, which also comes into play there. I also need to keep portraits in mind, which both of my current lens work well for - particularly the 50mm 1.4.

My thoughts are to sell my two lenses, and replace them with a lineup like this (all Canons): 28mm f1.8 USM, 50mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8 IS USM L Macro. I've had the 50mm 1.8 in the past, and it rocks for the price. I'm thinking the 28mm would come into play for big group shots (wedding party, family, etc.) - and the speed would definitely be good for events like receptions where the lighting isn't the best (also good bokeh). And then I hear all kinds of good things about the 100mm 2.8 L - especially with the Hybrid IS.

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on that, knowing I have two bodies that I can use between the three primes.

If you have other suggestions, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks

jag64551's gear list:jag64551's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow