Started Feb 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Road Lice
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Arctic Expedition uses GH1
Feb 3, 2011

I went to a stunning still and video presentation on the big screen in an auditorium this evening. The pictures were awesome and I thought they must have been shot on a Canon 5DII. I asked the expedition photographer what camera he used and I was surprised when he said he used a Panasonic GH1 for all the photography - still and video. He said the reason he chose the GH1 was because of the light weight of the camera, the lenses and the tripod needed to hold a light camera.

The topic of the presentation was a summer crossing of Ellesmere Island - the world's 10th largest island and the northernmost part of Canada:

http://www.rcgs.org/programs/expeditions/2010_dunn.asp

The expedition traveled fast by using unusually lightweight gear, including a tiny 1.5 kg boat for crossing between ice sheets. The camera batteries were charged with two folding solar panels.

So I guess all us pixel-peeping camera pervs can discuss the the minutia of sensor receptors until we are blue in the face but when it gets right down to it the GH1 shoots pretty good pictures!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow