Flat view
Jody Leonard
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
Fashion Photography
Feb 2, 2011

Hi all,
Calling all fashion/portrait photogs...

I just recieved an opportunity to shoot some before and after shots of women's hair style and coloring from my hair stylist. I have been trying to find my niche in my photography and I think this could be up my alley. I shoot a bit of everything but am relatively new to portraiture and fashion. I have had portraiture in my head for a while. In fact just before this came up, I had just purchesed a 105 2.8 and two mannequin heads. Coincidence? I call it woo-woo.

Anyway, I will be using my D700 and newly purchased 105 2.8 micro. I also have a 50 1.8 and 24-120 f4, an sb900 and sb600. I am willing to rent another lens, such as an 85 1.4. I will strobe through an umbrella. I will also have a reflector and white backdrop.

My plan is to do chest-up shots with the sb900 high and camera left. I will use the reflector to bring up any shadows on her other side. I understand the 105 micro is great for portraits so I plan to use that lens. I will have plenty of room. Using a tripod, of course. My biggest challenge is getting the hair color spot on. I believe the first one is a deep red (lucky me).

Am I on the right track? Any advise is appreciated, such as aperture settings, TTL or manual flash, WB, etc. I will want full DOF of face and hair.

I know it seems I am tackling something like this out of the blue without learning more first but I did it with a few weddings with great results. Besides, I am not charging him anything but he could get the photos published in a national magazine and referrals in the future, should I succeed. He also says hairstylists are always looking for photographers who can get accurate color shots but that they are hard to find so this could be a great start for me.

Thanks in advance!
Jody (of the male gender, btw)

Jody Leonard's gear list:Jody Leonard's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow