Started Feb 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Neoplasticity
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Help me decide GH2 vs 60D vs D7000
Feb 2, 2011

I do not mean to start any brand wars but I guess at least to some extent, that is inevitable. Anyway, I'm looking to buy a camera and some lenses. I'm not a professional but I guess I'm an "enthusiast".

My options are

GH2 $1000
14-140 f/4-5.8 $ 760
100-300 f/4-5.6 $ 540

60D $960
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 $460
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 $780 or $1400 for IS

D7000 $1200
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 $460
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 $780 or $1400 for IS

so costwise there aren't huge differences unless i opt for the IS lenses on the DSLRs. so for the sake of argument lets say that money isn't a huge issue and that the costs are relatively the same.

I currently own a Panasonic TS2 which is my take anywhere P&S and a Canon 1D MKI which is on long term loan from a friend who has since upgraded to a 5D and 7D. So I dont have a lot invested in Canon glass but I am familiar with how Canon's work and operate and generally like the ergonomics.

I will concede that the DSLRs have superior still image quality and I was leaning toward the D7000 since I read that it has better dynamic range and noise. But then I do like the articulated LCD on the 60D. I've read that the video quality on the GH2 is better which I like and it can take still pictures while taking video? That's awesome! And the whole touchscreen focus is very nice.

So I was leaning to the GH2 because I think I could live with the hit in still image quality for the smaller size and improved video capability.

HOWEVER. why is it that the 4/3rd zooms are so slow? why can't they make a f/2.8 zoom? I feel like I'm making the same price for much slower glass and that's my big beef with the GH2. is there something about the system that make f/4 on 4/3rd just as fast as f/2.8 on a DSLR? I really enjoy low light photography and slow glass is a big downer. On my Canon 1D, i shoot with a 50mm 1.8 most of the time because that's what I pull out when I want to do indoor photos and portraits. I use the TS2 for most everything else.

So... what's a guy to buy?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow