Started Jan 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
mevbo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,143Gear list
Like?
Re: 28-300 L vs 70-200 f/2.8 IS L II
In reply to Pointandshootg9, Feb 1, 2011

Pointandshootg9 wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to pick between one of these fine lenses.

Does anyone know if the 28-300 L will work with a third party teleconverter such as Sigma's or Tamron? I know it does not work with Canon's. I am aware that image quality degrades, but sometimes it is nice to just have a little bit more reach.

Hello,

I have both of these and love them both. I owned the 28-300 for a bout a year before buying the 70-200II. As a "One" lens, the 28-300 is excellent. I used it indoors with a speedlite too. For me, I only had so much $ to work with and couldn't afford to buy multiple lenses to be able to cover the focal lenght I wanted, so the 28-300 it was. Now, over the last year and a half, I bought the 17-55 2.8, the 70-200II, a EF2XIII and a 50 F1.4, (all canon) to add to the 28-300. I have thought about selling it, but can't bring myself to. I have got so many good shots with it and it is a great sharp lens. While as stated here and seen on the testing, it will not quite hold up the the other lenses, and it does require a lot of light to get good results (As metioned f 7.1-f8) it doesn't have a rival for the zoom range. I live in Ohio, which even limits the use of the 28-300 moreso. In the winter, I just don't even try to use it, the lighting is too weak. I use it a lot in the summer for outings with the family, or trips on my motorcycle when I only want one body/lens. I may sell it somewhere down the road, but I still find a lot of value and need for it now.
Kevin

mevbo's gear list:mevbo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow