ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
psebi
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?
85 1.8 bad copy?
Feb 1, 2011

Hello,

I have a 20D and I wanted a bright lens for a long time and I've just bought the Canon 85 1.8. I have a Canon 10-22 f3.5-4.5 and Canon 70-200 f4L, so nothing bright there.

Things are pretty bad with the 85. Front-focus almost every time an it seems also back-focus sometimes (or maybe is my fault). I've done tests over tests and most of the time when I manual focus it seems to be ok. But I have something else in mind, could it be the camera and not the lens? When I've got the lens, I tried a 35L in the store and seen at home that it front-focused.

I never thought that my photos are all the time tack sharp (although my lenses are pretty good rated), but didn't think until now that maybe I'm having problems with the camera. How can you spot a faulty camera from a faulty lens? If it's the camera then it should focus good in manual mode or not? Because from what I've read here, if the lens has problems with focus, it should behave good in MF.

I've bought the lens from a store that is not close to me and that's why I don't want to go right away there. I want to see if the camera is faulty before going there with the lens.

You can see crops here, I think the name of the photos are intuitive, with AF and MF. The focus point is always on the letter H.
What do you think?

-- hide signature --

20D, Canon 10-22 f3.5-4.5, Canon 70-200 f4L
http://sebbastian.blogspot.com

psebi's gear list:psebi's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow