Started Feb 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,486Gear list
Like?
Sigma 85 f/1.4 - First Impressions
Feb 1, 2011

As I posted in an earlier thread, I've been interested in an 85mm prime for my 7D for sometime, but wanted something a little faster than the EF 85 f/1.8, and something a lot less expensive than the EF 85 f/1.2L.

So the Sigma 85 f/1.4 seemed like a good choice. Most users and reviewers are reporting excellent IQ and bokeh. The only downside is that a number of users have reported that old Sigma bugaboo--inconsistent autofocus. So it was with some trepidation that I recently ordered the Sigma 85 from Amazon. But they had a 10% discount promotion, and at $810, I just couldn't resist. I also figured that if I had autofocus problems with the lens, I could just send it back to Amazon for an exchange or refund.

Anyway, got the lens late this afternoon. Put it on my 7D and started taking shots of pretty much anything and everything. Found it was front focusing a little, but +10 MFA pretty much solved that. Much to my relief, I haven't experienced any of the hunting or jerky focusing that some have reported, and overall, I'm finding focus speed and accuracy to be very similar to my EF 35 f/1.4L (which also required +10 MFA).

Eventually, I decided I wanted to try some shots of a real subject. But my wife was at work, so I decided to take a few pics of my dogs--both of whom hate having their picture taken. Nevertheless, I got one of them to sit still long enough to take a few pics. One of these shots, which I think is pretty representative, is attached.

The shooting conditions were far less than ideal--low ambient light requiring an ISO of 3200. This shot was taken wide open at f/1.4, handheld, with a shutter speed of 1/60 second. Dof was razor thin, but I think it's pretty obvious where I was focusing.

So far, so good.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow