NEX-5 Video - crazy shutter speeds.

Started Jan 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
GodSpeaks
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,746Gear list
Like?
Re: What speed during video?
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Jan 31, 2011

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

Sorry for my dumb question. Is it shutter only apply when you take still pictures? For video recording my understanding is that the shutter always remain open. I heard lots of talks about "rolling shutter", "jittery", etc. Can someone explain to me in plain language. What happened when still camera is doing video recording?

When talking about video we are talking about the electronic shutter, not the mechanical one.

An electronic shutter will capture a frame off the sensor and give it a timed exposure (shutter speed). It does this 24, 25 or 30 times per second (depending on the frame rate of the video).

The mechanical shutter is only for stills. If it was used for video I think it would have a pretty short life, assuming it could even keep up with the frame rate.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow