Started Jan 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BruceB609
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?
E-1... always getting better
Jan 31, 2011

I really get a chuckle using the E-1. It's like defying gravity and trends for the sake of finding its true potential with different photographic scenarios and challenges. There's just something about it that's more fulfilling than my 520 or beloved E-3 and that's why I had it in New York's Central Park last week, just to see if I could test it even more. I think snow is extremely challenging in color and values and considering I didn't use any kind of filter to help, I think the E-1 will be with me on other winter missions!

To make up for the smaller pixel count, I like the challenge of exploring how I could enhance a 5 MP image. I'm on a Mac G4 and still on PS / CS3. Another practice I'm onto is sharpening after ACR. I've switched from the "unsharp" to "smart sharpen." I usually use curves, color and noise control in ACR. After creating a TIFF (for returning to ACR) or a PS file, I duplicate the original layer, zoom in 150%, use a good but generous judgment "smart sharpen" on it and then adjust the opacity slider of the duplicated layer to fine tune the best sharpening effect before flattening the image. Works quite nicely and quicker than other techniques I've used before. Olympus produced a legacy that offers as large as any normal print I create. No doubt, the E-1 is still an instrument of a most rewarding choice.
--
BruceWB

BruceB609's gear list:BruceB609's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow