NEX-5 Video - crazy shutter speeds.

Started Jan 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-5 Video - crazy shutter speeds.
In reply to GaryW, Jan 30, 2011

GaryW wrote:

I thought it was the other way--set aperture, and that setting is preserved in video mode. So you couldn't directly change the shutter, but you can effectively force it to be slower when using a wider aperture. Besides, I would think many would like to set aperture for aesthetic reasons.

The one thing you do not want in video, is a fast shutter speed. That leads to jerky motion... ie: non fluid. So it is best when shooting video to control the shutter speed.

You can also control the aperture, and that is easiest to do using a legacy lens where you can manually set the aperture. You would then use ND filters to bring the exposure down to where you wanted it (assuming plenty of light).

But that process is obviously not for casual shooting.

Oh, and turn OFF AF. Focus hunting in HD really looks horrible.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow