Sigma 50mm 1.4 compatibility with 7D

Started Jan 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
kevin11
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: Just received Sigma50mm---my opinion
In reply to ktownbill, Jan 27, 2011

Thanks for the info Bill.

I have read that the Sigma focuses a little slower than Canon's 50mm 1.4 but it seems to be the only downside that I have read in the reviews.

Thanks for the advice on your lens. It really helps me out.

Kevin

ktownbill wrote:

Kevin,

I just received my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 this morning. I took pictures of a newspaper page from 3 1/2 ft away at apertures 1.4/2/2.8 I manually focused in liveview. I found very little difference from center to edge. I also found the lens to be almost as sharp wide open. Very close. It is that very reason that I bought this lens. I plan on shooting wide open for outdoor portraiture. I found the lens to have a slight front-focus when shooting under 5ft distance. I will post the actual amount of MA it takes to correct it. I found the focus spot on at 25ft. I did not ck between 5ft and 25ft but I will tomorrow.

I also took pics of a stucco wall thru f/11. The sweet spot (no surprise here) is 5.6/f8 Again, wide open was outstanding corner to corner. Very pleased here.

The only negative is the lens hood doesn't cinch tight. Maybe I will find something in the instructions regarding it.

I wish I had a Canon 50mm f/1.4 to do a comparison. Even more, I wish I had a FF to do a comparison. I'm so done with looking at MTF charts. It's all about the final print for me.

I don't find this to be a problem but my Canon 85mm f/1.8 seems to focus faster. I'm quite pleased with the Sigma auto-focus capability though.

Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow