Started Jan 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cdryall
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?
Chasing technology - my personal observations
Jan 26, 2011

Upfront let me just say this is just my personal observation - I do not intend to try and convince others that I am right and they wrong - I am not and have never been a Pro, just an enthusiast - everybody will have there own views and reasons for what they do / prefer - and they are fully entitled to theirs - this is just mine...

First off okay I MUST admit it - I was one of them - a bleeding edge technology lover - ever since my 300D, I have been through a 30D, 40D, 50D, 1D3, 5D2 and now 7D. As I was fortunate to work in a tax free middle eastern country for an extended period I also garnered a range of L lenses including the 24-105, 70-200,100-400 and a few primes - most noticably my (beloved) 300 2.8 IS.

Then as time passed as a family we decided to move back home again for the family and the lifestyle - although this meant the tax free element was well and truly history! At the same time my kids were now at their peak cost period with International Varsities / other training costs..... ouch...

Given my substantial Camera inventory (toy collection?) I decided to release a number of my 'toys' to help fund these (far more worthwhile - thanks luv) educational investments. This included 'beloved' and a number of others - at first gut wrenching - however this also gave me a chance to actually SERIOUSLY reflect on the results that I had gained from my equipment over time. Big time wake up call - it became pretty clear that some of my best pictures were taken with fairly basic bodies - now this has been told to me often over time and I nodded sagely but its soooo true!!! Its NOT the equipment but the person behind the camera who really makes the difference.

I also got to appreciate for myself by comparing a range of images I had taken, how much stuffing more MP's onto small sensors has brought better colours etc (resolution goes without saying) BUT despite all the marketing hype and / or technological advancement it has increased NOISE more than anybody wants to admit and I am seriously noise averse!!

Right now I find myself using my equipment for only 2 reasons - wildlife and family/event portraits. -- complete opposites which meant that there was no 1 perfect solution and so for me at least I have decided to keep my 5D2 and now dont laugh - my 30D body to cover both areas - it has no sensor cleaning (but then again nor does a Nikon D3X) is as fast as 5fps and has 9 point autofocus - yoo hoo, but suprisingly it has never failed me in AF situation that I need and I just love the clean, sharp and noise free images it still produces.

With a 10-20, 24-105, 70-200 2.8 and 100-400 I also find myself in a 'more than good enough' technology position - the improvements in my photography from now on really MUST come from becoming a better photog... that's what really matters.....

Just my 2 cents worth.......

Treat the Earth well, it was not inherited from your parents, its on loan from your children, (Traditional Kenyan saying)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow