Any shooters at the Australian Tennis Open?

Started Jan 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
slarti bartfast
Regular MemberPosts: 338
Like?
Any shooters at the Australian Tennis Open?
Jan 26, 2011

Just wondering if any of the regulars that go to the tennis have anything to report.

What i noticed (aside from the large nikon presence) is the amount of 70-200 use by the pros. I have been going for a number of years and have never seen so many actually using the lens. I remember seeing just a few carry them alongside with a 400mm but, never seen them used except 1 guy who was shooting for a while with one last year on one of the small courts.

This year even on the big courts i have seen them used quite often. I wondered about what might be prompting this. I wonder if the picture editors are wanting 'loose framing'. I do know that one is always kept for a quick swap for any action that takes place at the net but, they were being pointed at the normal stuff this year. Is it that 'tight' composition has lost favor with the editors?

Anyway, as just a member of the paying public, all that we are allowed is a max of 200mm. I rented the 70-200 SERIES II. I have owned and used both the previous versions and have to say that, i found it a lot sharper at f2.8 than the others. It is also true about the 'harshness' of the 'out-of-focus' areas.

Here are some shots from my gallery. They are from the first week at the tennis and mostly on the smaller courts. I was using a 5D mkII (don't ask).

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow