Started Jan 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
learning45
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Another "which lens to get" Q
Jan 25, 2011

I'm starting to get confused now as to which way to go, after pouring through all the threads here, so any advice would be helpful!

I have a 60D which will be paired up with an EF 28-135mm IS USM lens. This lens is what I was using with my old EOS 30. With the multiplying factor, I'm going to be missing some of my range. I'm also looking for something that will give me crisper pictures. The 28-135mm was ok, but not the best. Maybe I'm not being fair as I do love the picture quality I used to get from my old standard prime lens (not compatible with this camera).

So from what I've read the lenses for me to consider are:
EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
EFS 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM

I want something that's going to be a good general purpose lens with a fantastic picture. Later on, when time and funds permit, I'll get additional lenses. With kids floating around, it's mostly going to be photographing them for the next few years, both indoors and out.

What do you suggest? I initially was leaning more towards the 17-40mm but the f/4.0 stopped me. Between the 17-55mm and 15-85mm, why would you choose one over the other apart from the obvious range difference (trying to see if the price difference is justified). Do you have any other suggestions?

Finally, if I was to choose a prime lens, what would you suggest without getting ridiculous expensive?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow