Started Jan 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Backdoctor
Forum ProPosts: 13,900
Like?
found a new Eagles nest...
Jan 24, 2011

went out with my fiance to a local eagles nest we found weeks ago. It was so cold even the eagle was hunkered down. No shots worth firing. We did see a nice Kestrel who was somewhat cooperative.

While there we spoke to another person who told us of a bigger nest that has better access, behind an old gentlemans home.

We take off for Vero Beach, make the turns he told us and after a bit of hunting we find it. I knock on the door of the house just to be polite. I am on the street, not on his property, but he was okay with it anyhow.

At first it was just one eagle in the nest. Next thing you hear the high pitched call of an eagle and the second one enters the nest. I had a feeling the other was going to take off to get food and it did, but went to a nearby tree to wipe its beak off:

Then the two start screaming, and next thing you know both are flying around the house and through trees chasing away a vulture. At one point they are 30ft away from us. My fiance had never been this close to eagles in the wild, she was shaking with excitement.

This should be a nice nest to follow up on. All shots taken with my D300 with 400 f2.8 with a 1.7x tc on. I may go with the 1.4x tc next time as its easier to track birds in flight when they are close up on you. Also, I feel the image quality is better.

-- hide signature --

Harris

PBase/DPReview/NTF supporter
Egret Stalker #4, WSSA #29

http://www.pbase.com/backdoctor

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow