ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?
Need Some Help Choosing a 7D Prime Walkaround Lens
Jan 24, 2011

Hello:

I’ve been using my new 7D for the past month shooting a lot of sports and birds. I currently have a 200mm f/2.8L II lens and an 85mm f/1.8 lens but I want to get a standard or wide angle prime lens for walkaround purposes and landscapes. My experience has been that prime lenses are sharper than zooms so I’m looking at the following choices:

Canon 20mm f/2.8
Canon 24mm f/2.8
Canon 28mm f/1.8
Canon 35mm f/2

I’d be using the lens both indoors and outdoors as well as at night (landscapes, street, general purpose). I’m thinking maybe the 28 or 35 might be the best choice due to their wider apertures which would help me with indoor low-light situations as well as night photography. However, they’re not all that wide on a crop body (44mm and 56mm respectively) but that's still a good focal length for a walkaround lens.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions from anyone who has experience with any of these lenses or would like to share their thoughts. Thanks!

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow