Fuji X100 vs. Leica X1 vs. Gf1 w/20mm pancake

Started Jan 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
serendipity7000
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: Fuji X100 vs. Leica X1 vs. Gf1 w/20mm pancake
In reply to ZoranC, Jan 24, 2011

If I had the money it would be the Leica X1 - no question.

Because: Large sensor, Leica lens, picture quality, lightweight and compact, has add-on optical viewfinder and - the deal breaker - 'proper' controls for shutter and aperture. With all it's foibles I would definitely want one if I had the budget.

I ummed and ahhed for ages over the idea of a fixed lens. But at 36mm - well you can trade off flexibility with picture quality - you can do most things. And my most favourite camera to date was a Contax T with 38mm - some of the best pictures I have ever taken, despite a variety of lenses.

X100? Maybe - half the price of the full leica kit (camera, grip and finder). But I have a feeling it will be too weighty for the size, to make it really enjoyable to use. I'm keeping an open mind. The picture quality would have to be on a par with the Leica. Other than that it comes down to cost. It has the vf built-in for the price - has manual controls also. So it's a maybe.

GF1 plus 20mm pancake - No. The saving isn't that much below the cost of the X100 - the clip on vf is not good enough, the picture quality is not quite good enough - and I prefer a knob to a wheel and electronic numbers.

But - I have considered the Olympus EPL2 with add-on vf and panasonic 20 mm lens. But - cost is an issue - total probably about £1,100 for the three. X100 will be about £1000. Having said that - if the picture quality for this set up is better than the X100 then it would be my chosen option - except I really really want those Leica and X100 controls. So in that case - I would not want to spend £1,100 on a camera, vf and lens with controls that just don't quite do it for me.

So I would have to wait - until i can get a Leica X1 second-hand.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow