Started Jan 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Waimak Stud
Senior MemberPosts: 1,135
Like?
D90 Green Light of Death
Jan 24, 2011

or GLOD as I heard it called online. I had this problem a while ago, and it turns out I'm not the only one, so if you have the issue and bear with my story then I may be able to help you out.

The symptoms (i had) were;

When the D90 is turned off the memory card access lamp on the back continues to flash. The only way to stop this flashing is to take out the battery. If you leave the battery in overnight, by the next day it will be totally flat, even if it was full previously and the camera was turned off. The reset and format combo buttons don't do that job anymore, however they still do their original jobs. The owner of the camera is flustered and troubled.

When this happened to me it was on a D90 that was only a couple of months old, and I didn't want to have to send it back, so I googled it. Turns out it's a fairly common issue, and most of the people said they had to send it back to Nikon to get it fixed, although some people said it happened for a while then went away by itself. One of the people who sent it away helpfully mentioned that when it returned, the repair quote said that the on/off switch unit had been fixed and some parts had been replaced.

While my camera was still being naughty I thought it must be a problem with the power switch, which kinda made sense because the day the problem started I had been photographing a school sports event and had been turning it on and off in a very dusty environment. So here was my answer. I turned the power on and pulled the power switch all the way over to the 'lightbulb' and held it with my fingernail, and then let it flick back to off with all the power the spring could muster. Problem solved. I couldn't believe it, such camera issues very rarely have such a happy ending and easy solution. I may have had to do the same thing one more time, I can't remember, but that was a good 4 months ago and haven't had any problems since then. I'm not saying it would be as easy to fix for anyone else, but if you have the same problem, it's worth a try.
--
http://dailybento.webs.com/
Stop looking so closely guys!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow