Started Jan 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TWBjr
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
D7000 Focus Problem
Jan 24, 2011

So to continue a thread that I started last week by the same subject, I have a new piece of information and aggravation. I have not yet done another precise test with my 2nd D7000, but I will certainly make an effort to do that this week. Also, I did call Nikon Support with regard to the focusing issue on my 2nd D7000. The technician walked me through several 'factory' resets over the phone starting with holding the 'green dot' buttons. He then said to go and take some pictures and see if there is still a problem. If so, get back with him and have the camera sent in for adjustment. I did go out and take some pictures only to be disappointed unless I adjusted the AF fine tune to about -6 and the sharpness up to about 4. I did finally get some sharp images out of the camera, but I am still very disappointed that this is not consistent. Even out in the bright afternoon sunshine with ISO 100-320 and shutters from 1/640-1/2000, the autofocus still gave me a lot of images that were not sharp. More to come this week as I get down to some serious testing. Now for the aggravation.

My 12 year old has kind of taken over the D40 and pretty much shows up next to me every time I'm taking pictures with the D7000 and more. Keep in mind that he's either shooting the 'cheap' 18-55mm kit lens or a 'cheap' 55-200mm that I bought several years ago. So he's shooting pictures with the 55-200mm as were going down the road at 55mph in the van through tinted windows. He has some pictures that are much better through that 55-200mm @ 55mph than anything I've been able to shoot with the 7000 even from a tripod! Now that's aggravating. You just can't explain that away with technique or camera settings. In my mind there's just no excuse for it. And I know your next reply to me, "well give the 12 year old the D7000 and see what he can do with it". I certainly plan to do that. I'm gonna shoot the 40 and he's gonna get stuck with the 7000@factory defaults! Ok, that would't be fair, I'll set the AF and sharpness for him, but that's all. More to come. Again, thanks to all who had some viable suggestions for me on last weeks thread. I've tried a few of them and as time allows I'll do some more. Later.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
FWIWNew
100%New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow