ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nick Carrigan
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?
E-PL1 vs E-PL2
Jan 22, 2011

Hi All --

For the past several months, I've been very happy with my E-PL1 so I'm contemplating upgrading to the E-PL2. So far, I've only read one detailed review but I'm not convinced the E-PL2 is superior. That being said, I do notice some definite improvements in noise reduction versus the E-PL1; however, the E-PL1 seems to do better with maintaining consistency within an image.

I've been looking at the Powershot G12 review on the main page and if you go to the "Compare to.... JPEG" section you can select other cameras. So you can input the E-PL1/E-PL2 and other cameras.

This comparison really shows how much better Olympus is than other manufacturers. IMHO, they have excellent sharpness and a rich color saturation. Canon seems a bit more neutral in their color levels but I think it's actually better to lean more excessive than light. (Compare the Sony SLT-A55 as a great example of weak color saturation.)

I've also compared the G12 to other cameras like the LX5, GF1, GF2, S95, etc. Granted the E-PL2 is a higher grade camera but it still points out the (dollar per quality) value of Olympus cameras.

Another example is how the LX5's JPEG engine clearly shows a slight green-ish tint in their yellows. The RAW mode is much better. Why can't Panasonic get this right?

The GF2 seems much better with yellows but still not as good as the Olympus. Also the GF2's sharpness seems strange with text. It's good at times and bad at others.

Yes -- I'm focusing on the JPEG engine here but I think your average camera users will use the AUTO (JPEG) mode versus RAW mode most of the time. Also, the test box is hardly the "defining" test of a camera's IQ but it's a great place to compare the engine of different cameras.

Anyway, this may not be news to diehard Olympus users but the E-PL1 is my first Olympus puchase and it won't be my last.

-Nick

Nick Carrigan's gear list:Nick Carrigan's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow