Started Jan 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HappyVan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,004Gear list
Like?
Quick test of Panasonic 100-300 - images
Jan 22, 2011

Single quick test on the GH1 and 100-300. Mounted on a Manfrotto 701HDV Pro fluid head and Manfrotto 055. The long clamp helps you to balance the camera/lens because there is an amount of latitude. Also, the fluid head is using a longish QR plate which provides some direct support to the lens.

The target is a heater on a balcony in the next building. The first three photos (from RAW) show the actual view (resized to 700x394) at f/6.3. The exposure is 1/50 at f/6.3 ISO 100. The fourth picture shows the crop at 300mm actual pixels.

Compared to the Nikon 70-300 VR, the Pany lens is inferior in construction. The Pany zoom ring is not smooth and even. It makes a squeak that can be heard on video via the internal microphone.

Moreover, you can hear focusing noise. This is not the equal of the 14-140.

That said, the optical quality is impressive at 100 and 200mm. Image quality at f6.3 in the 200mm center is about equal (questimate) to the Nikon 300 VR at f/4.5. Good!

At 300mm f6.3, the Pany is about equal to the Nikon 300 VR plus 1.4 extender at f/4. Not bad!

The Pany's edge to edge sharpness is good. There is a lot of DOF for the 4/3 format. At 200mm f/5.6, there may be decent sharpness within a 5 feet zone.

I'm waiting for a sunny day to test the bokeh and saturation. IMO, I doubt that the Pany will match Nikon's 70-300. Still, a very credible effort by Panasonic.

Also did a quick test of the O.I.S. The combo is really not heavy enough for hand holding. Still, I think that decent small prints can be made at 1/125 at 300mm. Can't say at this stage what kind of success rate you can expect.

Conclusion: This Pany lens is being sold about 50% higher IMO than it should be. Expect a large discount once demand slacks off. Of course, Panasonic can get away with it because there is no alternative. Oly has stalled. We really need competition in the M4/3 market.

That said, this lens is a good travel zoom. The ergonomics will not be as good as Nikon's. But, the optical quality is more than acceptable for the money.

Your thoughts?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow