If the world came to the end

Started Jan 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,355
Like?
Re: You are correct
In reply to bikinchris, Jan 21, 2011

bikinchris wrote:

And the only way out of this predicament is education and opportunity. Women who have opportunity, good jobs and education don't have lots of children. The greedy rich people of the world have to change how they do business and make education and opportunity available to all. Oh wait, that's not likely to happen. So we're all screwed.

...and the educated country's manage to chew through 15 times the resources than they need to be able to live well.

Actually when you think about it (as many are now) it's education and opportunity that got us into this mess in the first place. Look at what's happening now with China. An Economic and standard of living explosion unfortunately following (as usual) the American model. Nothing like eating the resources of four planets as a species.

Education these days seems to be taking the place of religion as the opiate of the masses and the justification of all evils. A tool to obtain more and a philosophy to justify the excess.

Sometimes I think that the only way for us to maintain our only real prerogative as a species (to survive) is to blow ourselves back to the stone age and learn to get humble again.

In terms of the big picture of global survival I fear that an educated public will only be able to recognize the exact nature of the hindsight of the event. Up to that point individual self interest will still be the overriding phenomenon and education is all too often just a tool to maintain an unhealthy status quo and delude the masses into believing they have some autonomy.

Think about it. I am a product of a modern education system. Chilling thought isn't it?

-- hide signature --

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle

...oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HahaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow