ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LaMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,232Gear list
Like?
E-1, Rubber Grip Repair
Jan 20, 2011

Dear E-1 owners,

I know that this common problem has been addressed before, but I think I found a nice solution which some of you may want to try.

The rubber armour of the E-1 grip is connected to the camera body and kept in place by a sticky film. This film tends to become less sticky because of aging or of camera use, so that the rubber peels off partially or totally. This is what happened with my camera:

The sticky film can still be seen in the area next to the lens. You can start lifting the film with the tip of a pocket knife and then roll it off with your thumb. The film must be totally removed and both surfaces carefully cleaned with benzine(petroleum ether). Over a period of weeks I kept experimenting with various kinds of tapes and glues, with no satisfactory results. I came to the conclusion that instant adhesive would be best, but had hesitations. Instant adhesive is not water resistant and not long term stable. Furthermore, it is very liquid and runs everywhere, creating a mess. Finally, I found this new product:

Pattex Ultra Gel is an instant adhesive, which contains rubber components. It stays elastic and it is weatherproof. When you press both sides of the dispenser, one small drop is pumped out of the tip and stays right there. It can easily be applied and doesn't move. The dispenser tip stays unclogged and free of dried residues, which is nice. Pattex products are available in many countries, but not yet in the US.

I applied the gel to an area of about 1 square inch around the IR receiver and kept pressing the rubber for about 10 seconds. This produced a very tight bonding. Then I proceeded sepwise towards the borders. With both thumbs you can squeeze or stretch the rubber in shape for a few seconds. Actually, the procedure is not overly difficult. As an exercise, you can make trials with little pieces of rubber from an old inner tube. Of course, during the procedure, you want to take the lens out and replace it with the camera lid.

The result is absolutely flawless. It is so solid, I believe it will outlast the camera.

Good Luck and best Regards, Herbert
--
http://www.pbase.com/herbRD
Olympus E-1, E-330, Vario-Elmar 14-150mm

LaMesa's gear list:LaMesa's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow