Lenses for Cannon 500D

Started Jan 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
number_6
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenses for Cannon 500D
In reply to Guidenet, Jan 18, 2011

Guidenet wrote:

The problem is with buying three lenses is that the novice often never learns any one of them. They buy a cheap plastic entry level like the T2i, then two cheap kits and that flimsy 50 f/1.8.

I don't think the T2i is "cheap plastic" as you put it. And cheap does not necessarily mean bad. I have seen extraordinary images produced by all three of these lenses.

What if they decide they're into macro and not telephoto lenses. What if they decide they'd rather have a super wide and never go telephoto. What if a good portrait lens should have been chosen. They might never know this if they buy the three you suggested.

I don't see how owning and using more than one lens will preclude one from discovering what kind of photography one prefers. In fact, I would argue the exact opposite. How would you ever know if you liked to take wildlife photos if you didn't have even a modest telephoto lens to explore it with? Having access to a wide range of focal lengths at a very reasonable price allows a new user to try out many different things without busting the bank. If, after some time you discover that you want to get closer in and take pictures of little stuff, then you can add a macro to your collection - nothing lost.

I'd rather see them really learn something. Then they will know what they need and won't have to come to a beginner's forum for advice from other beginners based on what they purchased.

And owning two or three lenses as part of a system specifically designed to support multiple lenses will prevent them from learning? By all reasonable measurements, I am a complete beginner at this stuff, but I started with two really good zooms covering 24-200mm and I'm really glad I did. If I had only started with the low end of that, I would have missed out on a lot of fun photo ops that were also all learning experiences for me. My only regret is that I DIDN'T buy a fast prime.

Not that it matters anyway. It sounds like the OP has already made the purchase, so this is kind of all moot.

number_6's gear list:number_6's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow